Monday, August 30, 2010

CWO to sent up Propoganda for the Pope

London, September 2010, Pope Benedict will share the streets with fifteen of London's famous red buses carrying signs that simply say "Pope Benedict - Ordain Women Now."  The CWO, or Catholic Women's Ordination, has paid a healthy sum to the city to use the buses as advertising space, and also plans to rally during one of the Pope's scheduled speeches. 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100826/od_nm/us_britain_pope

So, what does this mean, for those Christians here in America?  Well, to Catholics worldwide, should the CWO succeed in their endeavor, female priests will finally become a reality.  Should the Pope decline to head the CWO'c demands, the possibility of further driving a wedge into the Catholic community would become imminent.  So here stands Catholicism, on the verge of change, no matter what the Pope decides. 

Now, I'm not Catholic, so at first, I have to ask myself: "What do I care?"  Well, not being Catholic doesn't mean that what happens with the Pope doesn't affect me at all.  Let's take a short trip down history lane.  Judaism gave way to Christianity, which evolved into Catholicism, which split and helped give rise to Protestantism, and subsequently, all the non-Catholic Christian denominations.  Ergo, just like what affects the Jewish nation affects us, what happens to Catholicism affects us. 

If the Pope allows the ordination of female priests, it will become easier for other denominations to allow women into positions of authority.  Currently, very few Christian denominations allow women into high positions, but that could change.

In all honest, I don't see the Pope ordaining women.  I think it's sad that he most likely won't, but I feel that he will most likely hold to tradition.  It seems like the Catholic thing to do.  (Please don't think I am necessarily stereotyping all Catholics; I am just basing that statement on the knowledge that Catholicism leans towards conservatism and traditionalism.)  So, odds are, in my opinion, the rift over sexism in the church will simply linger on. 

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment